Global analysis of slope of forest land
SND-ID: snd1296-1. Version: 1. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5878/e7e8-rz29
Download all files
Mikael Lundbäck - Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Department of Forest Biomaterials and Technology
Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences - Department of Forest Biomaterials and Technology
Principal's reference number
Forests of the world constitute one third of the total land area and are critical for e.g. carbon balance, biodiversity, water supply, and as source for bio-based products. Although the terrain within forest land has a great impact on accessibility, there is a lack of knowledge about the distribution of its variation in slope. The aim was to address that knowledge gap and create a globally consistent dataset of the distribution and area of forest land within different slope classes. A Geographic Information System (GIS) analysis was performed using the open source QGIS, GDAL, and R software. The core of the analysis was a digital elevation model and a forest cover mask, both with a final resolution of 90 metres. The total forest area according to the forest mask was 4.15 billion hectares whereof 82% was on slope less than 15°. The remaining 18% was distributed over the following slope classes, with 6% on a 15-20° slope, 8% on a 20-30° slope, and 4% on a slope >30°. Out of the major forestry countries, China had the largest proportion of forest steeper than 15° followed by Chile and India. A se... Show more..
Raster dataset in GeoTIFF format. The data is unprojected (EPSG: 4326) and the resolution is 90 m at most, however the map-unit is degrees.
Five files in total where the number in the filename indicates the proximity to the equator. File with number 1 covers the area from 0 to 49 degrees latitude, both north and south, number 2N covers latitude 50-59° north, number 2S covers latitude 50-59° south, number 3 covers latitude 60-69° north and number 4 covers latitude 70-79° north.
The GeoTIFF files are in high resolution and are intended to be used with GIS software. We also provide PNG versions of the raster datasets, with XML geographic metadata, generated using GDAL in low resolution, to enable quick preview with a standard picture viewer. Show less..
Data contains personal data
Time period(s) investigated
2000 – 2013
Data format / data structure
Department of Forest Biomaterials and Technology
- Funding agency: Department of Forest Biomaterials and Technology
Earth and related environmental sciences (Standard för svensk indelning av forskningsämnen 2011)
Geosciences, multidisciplinary (Standard för svensk indelning av forskningsämnen 2011)
Natural sciences (Standard för svensk indelning av forskningsämnen 2011)
Remote sensing (Standard för svensk indelning av forskningsämnen 2011)
Agriculture, forestry and fisheries (Standard för svensk indelning av forskningsämnen 2011)
Forest science (Standard för svensk indelning av forskningsämnen 2011)
Soil science (Standard för svensk indelning av forskningsämnen 2011)
Environmental sciences related to agriculture and land-use (Standard för svensk indelning av forskningsämnen 2011)
Boundaries (INSPIRE topic categories)
Farming (INSPIRE topic categories)
Biota (INSPIRE topic categories)
Geoscientific information (INSPIRE topic categories)
Elevation (INSPIRE topic categories)
If you have published anything based on these data, please notify us with a reference to your publication(s). If you are responsible for the catalogue entry, you can update the metadata/data description in DORIS.