Effectuation and systematic search data project

SND-ID: SND 1053

Description Data and documentation

Creator/Principal investigator(s)

Mikael Samuelsson - University of Cape Town, Graduate School of Business orcid

Description

The dataset contains a population sample from 1998, with longitudinal data over a period of 12 years. The study aims to create a better understanding for how new firms are created and developed across time.

Language

English

Research principal, contributors, and funding
Protection and ethical review

Data contains personal data

No

Method

Unit of analysis

Population

Individuals between 16 - 70 years of age

Time Method

Sampling procedure

Total universe/Complete enumeration
The sampling procedure started with two samples consisting of 49,979 individuals in Sweden followed from 1998 until 2010. The first sample consisted of individuals age 16-70 years and the second sample age 25-44 years. The purpose of the first sample was to get a representative sample of the adult population. A probability sample has the advantage of allowing inference to the population by use of statistical tests. The purpose of the second sample was to increase the probability of finding more entrepreneurially engaged individuals to interview and follow by focusing on a demographic known to have a higher start-up rate. Of the 49,979 individuals randomly selected, it was possible to obtain a telephone number for 35,971 (71.9%). The remaining 28.1 percent were not listed (n = 13,338), had severe disabilities (n = 381), or had moved abroad (n = 289). Of those contacted by telephone, 30,427 individuals (84.6%) agreed to participate, of whom 961 respondents qualified for the longer interview by answering that they were starting a business. Failure to establish renewed contact led to the loss of 147 cases. Another 133 individuals were dropped from the active case file after it was detected in the longer interview that they did not qualify. As a result, our sample consists of 623 individuals who completed the longer interview.

Time period(s) investigated

1998-08-01–ongoing

Geographic coverage

Geographic spread

Geographic location: Sweden

Topic and keywords

Research area

ECONOMICS (CESSDA Topic Classification)
Social Sciences (The Swedish standard of fields of research 2011)

Publications
Dataset
Effectuation and systematic search

Description

Population sample

Version 2

2020-09-03
https://doi.org/10.5878/mw0p-6812

Markup corrected : Files only re-uploaded due to broken link. No other changes made.

... Show more..

Citation

Mikael Samuelsson. Handelshögskolan i Stockholm, Graduate School of Business (2020). <em>Effectuation and systematic search</em>. Swedish National Data Service. Version 2. <a href="https://doi.org/10.5878/mw0p-6812">https://doi.org/10.5878/mw0p-6812</a>

Download citation

Data format / data structure

Numeric

Creator/Principal investigator(s)

Mikael Samuelsson - University of Cape Town, Graduate School of Business orcid

Time period(s) investigated

1998-08-01–2010-08-01

Data collection

  • Time period(s) for data collection: 1998-08-01–ongoing
  • Source of the data: Population group

Variables

2246

Published: 2020-03-03
Last updated: 2020-09-03